Monday, January 6, 2020

Blake's Sweet 16

A couple of weeks before Blake's birthday, I asked him if there was anything special he would like to do for his big special birthday. He said, "huh?" and I said, "Blake, you're gonna be 16!!!" He was like, "Oh yeeaahh" in a kind of blah way. I asked if he felt 16 and he said he didn't. This makes me sorta sad because you are only a kid once and if he doesn't feel 16 then I feel he shouldn't be expected to fit into that mold. I just realized that it sounds like I'm saying, "if he doesn't want to identify as a 16 year old, he shouldn't have to. He can identify as the 14 year old that he currently feels like" lol. It just all flies by so fast, what I would give for time to slow down with these kiddos.


Blake said he really didn't want to do anything special for his birthday this year. I was trying to figure out what I could do to make it special without any suggestions from him. Ideas did not come easy. He finally admitted that he would like cinnamon rolls and maybe a steak dinner at Texas Roadhouse. His bday fell on a Monday, so we decided to celebrate it with Aunt Sissy and Uncle Danny on Sunday.  Dad and I went on an early morning cinnamon roll hunt around town. It took us 3 different stored, but eventually we found some great big ones at Sams Club in St. Charles. When we got back to the house, Taylor helped us get his gifts wrapped and the house decorated. When Aunt Sissy and Uncle Danny arrived, we got the candles lit (which was a real struggle..lol) and then we called him down. I could tell he was excited even if he didn't show it. He came down and blew out the candles, they left behind quite a bit of smoke and it almost choked him..lol. Anyways, he got a lava bead bracelet, a phone case and a pc monitor from us and he got a $75 Amazon gift card and a brass wishbone from Aunt Sissy and Uncle Danny...he was one happy camper. He got to have warmed cinnamon rolls with a iced coffee for breakfast.







He actually decided that he didn't want to go out to eat on a busy Sunday night so we decided to push that off for another time.  He was really excited to get upstairs and get that new monitor hooked up.

When we woke up the next morning, on his actual birthday and last day of Christmas break, I felt bad because all the gifts had been opened and I had nothing else planned with the exception of Taylor's orthodontic appointment..lol. I did end up going into stores to try to find the proper adapter to connect the new computer display, but otherwise, he didn't want anything else. We did go get him Culver's for linner, yes, that's what we call the meal between lunch and dinner. And that was it. My boy is 16, he's not ready to become a licensed driver yet and that's ok, he has time to do that. Slow down time, slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment