Monday, August 16, 2010

Summer of Swim

Blake is 6 years old and has grown up with a pool. Until a month ago, he has ALSO grown up with an inflatable swimsuit and water wings to "help" (or hinder) his learning to swim!! Poor child, I just didn't want him to go under and he has never been a floater!! I tried the tough-love approach..."just let go of him, he'll learn"...I watch as he goes straight down, eyes open wide with a look of terror...I scoop him up, blow up the swimsuit and slide on the water wings---happy floaty kid!!

In kindergarten they had a Beach Day...they could wear their swim attire and would have fun with water...he begged me not to make him go to school that day, "Mom, I don't want the other kids to know that i still wear water wings!" I explained that there was no actual beach, or deep water, and that he didn't need his wings...he went and had a blast. Maybe that was his incentive to learn to swim without them. PEER PRESSURE can be a good thing too!

One day he just asked me to show him how to doggy-paddle again, I did, he immediately learned, and has been a little fish ever since! He jumps off the deck into the pool, goes underwater, swims around, does somersaults, tricks, and can float.  YEAH!

Since swimming had become one of Blake's favorite activities, I signed him up for swim lessons.  They were very affordable and taught him some new strokes, how to tread water, and life-float in case of emergency.  The lessons were first thing in the morning and lasted 35 minutes, 4 days a week for two weeks.   I'm glad we did the session, but wouldn't say he learned that much.  I think I could have taught him what he learned from his instructor, but since he had a great time, it was worth it!




learning the breast stroke
back float


Poor Taylor's just not big enough for anything FUN!
My little swimmer!

I need goggles !!!




I passed "Explorer" swim lessons!

No comments:

Post a Comment