Saturday, October 30, 2010

Visiting the Farm


Last weekend, after church, we took the kids to a farm in O'Fallon.  It is an actual "working" farm.  No fancy displays, petting zoos, or markets, just a real farm.  In the fall, the owners create a corn maze, give tractor rides, and just let people come see their animals.  They sell fresh farm eggs all year, and give tours to boy/girl scouts.

The kids absolutely LOVE to see all the animals that live around the farm.  Believe it or not, the HUGE amount of chickens is what stole most of the kid's spotlight!  Taylor constantly tried to
"pet" one, always getting within a few tiny inches and then it would scurry away...frustrating!  Blake ran after then to catch one. (I guarantee he wouldn't have known what to do with it if he caught it!) And worst of all....Billy kept trying to catch one "just so the kids could touch it", yeah right, he was like a little kid that's been let loose on the farm!  The only problem is that I couldn't send him back to the car for a "time-out", even though I threatened to!  He DID actually catch a chicken, BUT all the other "hundred" chickens started to flock him to get to the chicken he was holding on to...I guess they thought it was a "weak" one...yikes! 

We totally got lost (for real) in the corn maze and ended up cutting through to get out...cheaters, I know!  We got to pet lots of other animals there including, dogs, cats with their kittens, sheep, goats, and a horse.  The kids loved to play on the home-made jungle gym.  It was alot of fun! 

I have to say, for a moment, I kinda wished we lived back out in the country.  I do miss having our own land to do what we want with, but I am soooo used to the conveniences of living near the city.  Thank you farm, for being there when we want to visit!


Of course, she has to pet the unhappiest animal there...

coming through!


Come here, shicken!!!!
I'm gonna get you, chicken!
Let me catch you so I can prove to the kids I can do it!!!
Petting the sheep
entering the maze...
kinda lost in the maze
corn stalk sword fight
the exchange of sacred corn to bribe the chickens!
My sweeties!!!
Can we keep him, Mommy????      no

No comments:

Post a Comment