Sunday, December 1, 2013

Tucking in my boy

Tonight was the first school night, after a  l-o-n-g,  holiday weekend. Blake asked if I would take him up to bed tonight. I agreed, asked him to go on up and read for a few minutes, while I finished up last minute school stuff.  Knowing that I still had a lot to do before bedtime, I planned on making this a quick, "tuck in".  I went in his room, straightened his crazy crooked blankets for him, then leaned down to kiss him on the cheek. I told him that I loved him and that I had stuff to do downstairs, he replied, "awww...Mom, can't you just lay down with me for a few minutes?" How could I NOT? ....my growing boy still wants me to lay down by him...I should soak in every single second of it. 

I lay there and watched him close his little eyes, and at that moment, I forgot about the boy who was almost 10 years old and saw only the little fella that was just a bouncing toddler, what feels like just moments ago.  How could time have gotten away from me? There he lay, his eyes like slits, his lips still heart-shaped, like the day I brought him home from the hospital. He let me rub my finger over his eyebrows, I used to do that when he was little, to help him fall asleep. Lately he doesn't want my help with anything that requires me messing with his body. I tried to help him clean out his ears and it was a disaster, same with helping him get the shampoo rinsed out, that we realized was still bubbly on his wet head, after the shower this morning! 

I am so blessed, I thanked God for giving him to me and for making me realize how important it is to slow down and soak moments, like these, in.

No comments:

Post a Comment