Friday, November 11, 2011

Celebrating Veteran's Day, Thinking about my Dad


A couple of months ago, I was looking through old paperwork and found an envelope addressed to my Father that was marked "CITATION" on the outside...it made me curious.  I could tell it was old by the yellowish tint and the faded print.  As I read this, I felt proud and sad.  Sad that I was too young to know this part of my Dad's life.  I was too young to take an interest in his past.  What I would give, today, to just talk to him about his life...what was it like to fight in WWII.  Sometimes, finding little pieces, like this letter, give me a tiny glimpse...





I was 8 years old when we found out that he had a brain tumor, over the following 5 years he underwent several brain surgeries, and eventually passed when I was 13 years old.  The last thing on my mind was the past, his past, the history of our country.  I guess the most important part is what I DO know and remember about my Dad...  he was first and foremost a provider, he stood up for what he believed, a man of his word, always gave all he could to family and friends...especially to us kids.  He was fun, adventurous, loved to hunt & fish, loved to have company and entertain, insisted upon family dinner, and always said grace at the dinner table.

Before he got sick, I remember riding four wheelers together on trails carved all through the woods by him on his tractor, him lifting me and my friends up in the bucket of that tractor, and playing on all the wonderful creations he made for me outside.  A cable swing, numerous playhouses, commercial sized merry go rounds, and the unforgettable maypole...a spinning wheel on top of a pole with chains hanging down to grab onto as you lifted your feet and flew around in the air!  Actually, I had forgotten much of this until I just started writing this post!  I was really blessed with a great Father.

The five years that he was sick were difficult.  Especially for my Mom, who was trying to raise me, a crazy teenager, while taking care of him.  I was of no help to her and wish I could change things, but that's a whole other post!   Anyways, I just wanted to post about my Dad since it's Veteran's Day and be reminded of how proud I am to have him as my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment