Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lonely Turkey Day

Growing up, holidays were always huge at my house.  My Mom kept the family together, she baked, made a wonderful buffet of foods, had decorations galore, and was absolutely beaming with the delight of getting the family together.  I take after my Mom, and have held most of the Holiday gatherings at my house for years now.  I love the planning, the menus, the shopping, the baking, getting guest bedrooms ready, the stress of it all! 

Autumn has always been my very favorite time of year but, this year feels different.  My Mom lost her battle to cancer November 25th of 2007.  I know it's been three years, but the season, the weather, the approaching Holidays bring back some of the sad memories.  I get upset at myself for letting bad memories creep in and steal the wonderfulness of the season.  I spent the last two years, being "strong" for my family, keeping  up traditions, but for some reason, I don't feel like it this year.  And to top it all off, my brother and his family called and said they can't make it to Thanksgiving.  I think I already knew this somehow.  I have decided to make the best of this Holiday and remember the real meaning of Thanksgiving.  I am thankful for many blessings in my life.

The family that "is" here with me still needs a happy place to gather, yummy food to eat, homemade desserts, and love to share.  While this Thanksgiving may only be celebrated with my sister, Billy, and the kids, we will keep all of our many loved ones in our thoughts.  Maybe start a new tradition...I volunteered us to go serve food to the less fortunate downtown, so I'm sure I'll come home with a completely new outlook.  Maybe the holiday won't seem so lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment