Friday, January 21, 2011

Today was the day...

First off, I must focus on this:   My husband, my children, my family, my friends, being healthy, and God's love.  These are the things that I choose to focus on when things get bad, because today was the day...

Today was the day that we have thought about, worried about.  The day that Billy's job got shaken.  I say shaken instead of lost, because he is still technically employed, just no longer at his usual place.  He will keep his job while he trains his replacement and while another location needs him.  How long will that be for?  We haven't a clue.  I wouldn't normally write about this sorta thing, but it is happening to so many people and has unfortunately become common.

We moved here for THIS job, almost 5 years ago.   His job back home was commission-based and with having a family to support, we felt this was an opportunity that had to be taken. It was an chance to have a steady salary, to work for a Christian-based company, a company that was family-oriented and cared about people.  As it turns out, it's quite the opposite. 

To make matters worse, our finances ever since have been dealt a bad hand.  I call it that because, it has been like bad luck.  We had to use our retirement to move for the new job.  It had been a year and we couldn't sell our house back home, finally got it rented out and the tenants stopped paying and destroyed the home.  We eventually lost it to foreclosure.(disgusted and full of guilt over this after living there for over 10 years)  During my Mom's battle with cancer, I charged the expenses, and in the end- the funeral.  Meanwhile, we have been living paycheck-to-paycheck, getting by and thankful for no major emergencies or expenses.  I am constantly trying to be frugal by purchasing most everything at second-hand stores, save energy around the house (I even hang dry quite a bit of our laundry to save $$), and shop for groceries on a tiny budget.  The word budget is kinda scary (i just now realized )...what if there isn't a paycheck to budget?

Believe it or not, this posting is going to end on a good note...  

I once heard that people should be "big" on family and being together, more than "big" on house/ items and not be home enough to enjoy them together.  Billy and I have been praying for a way for him to be home more, doing a job that he believes in, and making a difference somewhere...this may be just what we have been asking for...  Who knows what the future may hold?  Jobs for us that we enjoy, time to spend together as a family without the constant stress and phone calls from his job...hmmmm...that would be nice.

It would be very easy for us to focus on the possibility of losing our house, having to relocate, selling our stuff BUT just to think...we have each other and our health and our faith and THOSE are the things that are important.  Sometimes, I think about if one of us were sick, not with a cold, but an illness.  I wouldn't give a second thought about what house I lived in, or what car I drove....all I would care about is us staying together and having our health....SO that is what I am choosing to focus on!!  

Billy's faith is strong and that's awesome!  He is certain that God will provide and that God doesn't give us more than we can handle.  I wish "I" had his kind of faith, but I'm working on it, everyday!! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh no. I am so sorry to hear about this. I don't even know what to say. Just know that I am hear and I am ready to listen and to help out in anyway that I can. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete